15 December, 2010

12 Days of Christmas - Day One: 12 Favourite Books 2010

Carly over at Writing from the Tub had this fabulous idea to do a bookish 12 Days of Christmas. I love the idea so much I've decided to have a go too!

The first is 12 books from 2010. I think Carly may have chosen ones published in 2010, mine come from anything I have read in 2010.

Every Secret Thing by Marie Munkara

 A book that made me laugh and cry, often within the same sentence. Munkara tells the story of an Aboriginal mission in the Northern Territory, it shows how white ideals and Aboriginal culture clashed so badly. How one side was willing to accept another's beliefs, but the other side couldn't consider the ideas of someone different.


Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Some loved it, others didn't get. I loved it! Gilbert got to do what I would love to do and take a year to do whatever I wanted! Bliss!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Ann Barrows

Written entirely as letters between a group of people, this book made me long for a pen pal. Pity I know I am so bad at writing letters!

Push by Sapphire

What can you say about a book that made you feel like you'd been clobbered over the head with a lump of wood? An incredibly moving and powerful read about the power of the written word and valuing yourself.


The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

A gorgeous children's book about a toy rabbit over stuffed with his own self importance and the journey he goes on to discover the truly important things in life. Beautifully written and beautifully illustrated, if this does not become a classic there is something seriously wrong!


The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

For me a rather scary look at an alternative future where woman are once again seen as possessions to be controlled and dictated to. What struck me most about this book is the narrator's memories of what life use to be like and how quickly and easily the freedom of women was lost.

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

  The best fantasy fiction I have read in a long time. Original, exciting, strong characters who weren't stereotypical. I'm not surprised to read rumours of a movie being made of this book, it would be perfect. Just hope they don't stuff it up!

What's Happening to Our Boys? and What's Happening to Our Girls by Maggie Hamilton



Two books that have become my bibles as I move towards a world where I parent tweens and teens. Hamilton gives a very clear run down on the vastly different world my children are experiencing and how I can help them navigate their way through it with out alienating them. Essential parental reading.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee


So embarrassed that it has taken me so long to read this book. Easy to see why it's a classic. One I plan to reread and often.


She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb


After struggling a bit with The Hour I First Believed, I was a little reluctant to try another Wally Lamb. By oh my goodness! I plan to read his backlist in 2011.

Mr Rosenblum's List - Natasha Solomons

  Just a beautiful read from beginning to end. Books don't get much better than this!

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

 In my opinion the best of the Hunger Games series. Having borrowed all three from the library I am planning to purchase my own copies as I know I will want to read these again.

So there is my 12 for 2010. Next on the list are 11 favourite characters!