24 December, 2010

At Home

 At Home by Bill Bryson

I stalled on this half way through, but managed to finish it in the end. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it's just that I was on a deadline because it was a reduced loans period from the library (2 weeks instead of 4) and I needed to get it back before we closed from the Christmas break. I think if I'd had it for 4 weeks and hadn't felt so rushed it would have been better.

Touted as a history of the house and how each room came into being and how it has changed over history, At Home is a look at history from the rooms of your house. And at the beginning of each chapter, he does look at the room he is in, whether it be the lounge, the dining room, the kitchen, bedroom or bathroom. But from each he branches out into wider ranging issues such as architecture, electricity, food preparation and disease.

In the end, I feel the book was worth the read. It was an interesting read and I enjoyed it, I just wish I hadn't been so rushed!