27 May, 2010

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

I discovered this in a box of books I had to cover for my son's school. As I have previously mentioned, my son is attending a school that is in it's first year this year, which means a lot of covering to be done! As a former teacher librarian, I had to offer my services and am lucky that the librarian is happy for me to keep a few to read.

From the blurb:

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, ther lived a china rabbit named Eduward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reaseon: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely.
 And then, one day, he was lost.
Katherine Paterson from Publishers Weekly (and I am assuming it's the Katherine Paterson who wrote such classics as Bridge to Terabithia),summed it up perfectly for me when she said "Why should I care what happens to an arrogant, overdressed china rabbit? But I did care, desperately, and I think I can safely predict you will, too."

Edward Tulane is a beautiful book. I read it in one sitting because I had to know what happened. As Edward gets tossed from person to person, he slowly learns to love and to realise it's not what you look like that matters, but what is inside. I'm going to have to buy my own copy as I see it becoming a firm read aloud favourite not only for my kids, but kids in my classroom. (if I ever manage to get back into teaching!)