18 January, 2011

The Forgotten Garden

Title: The Forgotten Garden
Author: Kate Morton
Series: None
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Kindle


Synopsis: In 1913, a little girl with a suitcase is left standing on the docks at Brisbane. When no one comes to collect her, a dock worker takes her home to his wife and they end up raising her as their own.
On her 21st birthday her father reveals the secret that she is not really his and they have no idea where she comes from. Nell sets off to find out about her past and in the process we learn her story and the story of her grand daughter, Cassandra, and Rose and Eliza from her past. The fates of these women intertwine in ways that will affect all their lives.

What I thought: I totally enjoyed this book. The characters of the women are clear and beautifully written. The story jumps between the late 1800's, early 1900's, 1970's and 2005. While this may seem confusing, Kate Morton makes it easy to follow with each woman's story being distinctive enough I found I didn't get confused as to where I was and what was happening. I found it easy to read and am looking forward to discussing with my book group later this month. If there was a negative, I would say they way it all came together so quickly at the end, but even then I suppose that is the way it often happens. You discover one vital bit of information and suddenly a lot of other stuff falls into place.

Recommended for: those who love mysteries with a family connection.

Challenges: A-Z Challenge, E-Book Challenge, 100+ Challenge, TwentyEleven Challenge