10 June, 2010

Showgirls, Teen Wolves and Astro Zombies

Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies. A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made by Michael Adams

It's just about to hit midnight on New Year's Eve and my pulse is pounding because the ball in about to drop. I'm not in Times Square, watching the big orb descend, surrounded by a million screaming New Yorkers. I'm in my living room in Sydney, cranking a toy bingo machine, while my better half, Clare, and a few close friends count down the last seconds of the year...
I catch their bemused glances. I know it is reiculous, being this excited...about little white number spheres. Then again, the rattling cage of balls is going to decide how I spend the next twelve months. It's a common notion - what you do on New Year's Eve is what'll you  do for the following year - but for once it's true. For the next 365 days I 'm going to watch one bad film a day to discover what is the worst movie ever made - and I'll view the schlock in the order dictated by the bingo machine.
 And that is how Michael Adams started 2008. For the whole year he watched bad movie after bad movie. Who knew there was so many, although you most probably won't be surprised to learn that a large number of them are monster movies or sci-fi.
Using The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) bottom 100 list and recommendations from friends, acquaintances and others in the movie business, he spent a huge amount of money on acquiring the movies and a massive amount of time on watching them.

It took me awhile to read this. It was an on-again, off-again type thing. It was interesting but not riveting. For me, a book mainly for movie buffs, especially if they are into cult movies.