28 June, 2010

Committed

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

This is the sequel to Eat, Pray, Love which I read back in January.

At the end of Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth had met and fallen in love with Felipe. Felipe had also experienced a failed marriage and neither were interested in remarrying so they swore never to marry. Which was fine - until the day the U.S government would not allow him back in the country. The only way around it was to marry.

While waiting for the appropriate paper work to come through, Elizabeth and Felipe traipsed around South East Asia. For Elizabeth it was a chance to research marriage and find a reason to make it valid, other than it was the only way her and Felipe could live in America together.

What I love about the way Elizabeth Gilbert writes is she doesn't make me feel guilty or wrong for believing in marriage and being happy in mine. She makes it very clear, frequently that these misgivings and fear are hers and hers alone. She owns them, she examines them and she accepts they are not every ones. In a book that could be incredibly preachy and judgemental - she isn't.

It took me a little longer to get into Committed than it did Eat, Pray, Love. I think because she does go into the history of marriage and the statistics involved. But once I got over that, it was another un-put-downable book. Her experiences in talking to different cultures about marriage are fascinating. Her search for something that will alleviate her fears and misgivings interesting and her final discovery of something that makes it all ok a relief. You just want these people to be happy!

Elizabeth Gilbert has also written 3 fiction books that I am debating whether or not to read. Having enjoyed her non fiction so much, I am scared they won't live up to what I expect. So, today's question, do I read her other stuff, or do I not tempt fate?