15 June, 2010

The Ice House

The Ice House by Minette Walters

Minette Walters is an author I have recently added to my Authors I Want to Read page. I know I have read some of her stuff, but know I haven't read all of them, so the best idea is to go back to the beginning! Although after my husband put a ban on me procuring more books until I reduce the number I already have, I don't know when I will get to another of hers.

The Ice House was Walters first book, published in 1992. Ten years ago David Maybury disappeared. The police suspected his wife, but without a body, were unable to prove he was actually dead and hadn't just left as she claimed. Now ten years on, a body has been found in the ice house at Streech Grange and the questions start again.

Walters is a fantastic writer. She manages to maintain the suspense throughout the novel, making the reader want more, but also scared to find the truth. Her characters are believable, likeable and not always what they seem. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more. Surely I can manage to hide a few library books from The Husband??