04 February, 2010

New Stuff

Life has been a bit hectic. I had an operation on my eye on Tuesday to insert a cache lens. This was after a failed attempt in August to insert an ICL (implanted contact lens.), which left me a cataract (which has now corrected itself, thank goodness!) and an misshapen, enlarged pupil in my right eye. While the pupil cannot be fixed, I am pleased to say the cache lens procedure has worked a treat and I now have almost 20/20 vision out of my right eye!! My left eye is scheduled for Monday! But, before that, I must travel to Newcastle (leaving this afternoon) to sadly attend my maternal grandmother's funeral. She died on Tuesday morning, just before I went into surgery. She was 91 and while it was not unexpected, it's not easy. My other grandmother died in December at the age of 98, so I have lost my last 2 remaining grandparents within 2 months of each other and to put it bluntly - it sux.

So, as you can imagine, amongst all that, not much blogging has been getting done, although the reading (thank goodness!) continues. I'm currently reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I resisted the whole Twilight thing for ages, finally succumbing when a friend lent me a copy of the first one and while they aren't the best thing I have ever read, they were ok. Easy, entertaining and a nice love story. I'm finding The Host different. Just as readable, but slightly more adult and more original concept. As an aside, while Leigh and I were having dinner the other night, we overheard two people talking about the True Blood series. Like Twilight, I've been kind of actively avoiding these books, but think I may now have to give them a go too.

I have also had a delivery from The Book Depository (mmmmmmmmmm,  book depository!!)

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones  is my Book Groups February read
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is my Book Group March read
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins is a book recommended by a couple of friends
Blood Brother by Robin Bowles was not a BD buy, but a present from a friend who gets my fascination with killers.

My current library pick ups have included:
Desert Flower by Waris Dirie is a book I've been meaning to read for awhile.
After January by Nick Earls continues my reading of Earls' back catalogue.
Shallows by Tim Winton continues my reading of Winton's back catalogue.

Hopefully that will keep me going for awhile!