11 February, 2011

The Scold's Bridle

Title: The Scold's Bridle
Author: Minette Walters
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Book (library)

Synopsis: When Mathilda Gillespie is found in her bath tub, her wrists slit, dosed up on barbituates and with the Scold's Bridle on her head, it is assumed she has committed suicide. However, some are not so sure and really, it's not like there is a shortage of susupects - she wasn't exactly well liked in the community. Then the reading of the Will drops a bombshell. Mathilda has disinherited her daughter and grand-daughter and left her whole estate to her doctor. So the question becomes why is the doctor set to inherit, did Mathilda commit suicide or was she murdered and if she was murdered, who did it and why?

What I thought: I truly believe Walters is one of the best crime writers around. I never read her stuff and think I've read it before. Each of her stories are orignial and interesting. I love that Mathilda was such an unlikeable chararcter, but the need to find out what happened to her was still important. Walters gives you enough to form some ideas on what you think happened, and releases you new information at just the right moment to make you doubt yourself after you are sure you have solved the mystery! It's another Walters I can cross off my list, allowing me to look forward to the next one.

Recommended for: those who love a well written mystery that will keep you guessing.

Challenges:  100+ Challenge,