20 February, 2011

Linger

Title: Linger
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Young Adult
Format: Book (library)

Synopsis: Grace and Sam are learning how to live this new life together. Life however is not easy, especially when one of you use to be a werewolf! Sam is trying to work out how to be the new contact point for the wolves as they change. Now that Beck has change permanently, Sam feels responsible for the others, but he's not sure about the four new wolves in the pack, especially Cole. Can Grace and Sam have their happy ever after, or is that too much to ask.

What I thought: I have been waiting for this to come into the library for ages and admit to devouring it pretty quickly once it did. I do tend to avoid a lot of the current young adult paranormal trend. I read Twilight and thought it was great for it's target audience. To be honest, I don't get the whole adult obsession thing around it. However, Shiver and Linger kept getting rave reviews so I thought why not. For me, I find Stiefvater's writing to be excellent. Sure there is no indepth analysis of her characters to be had - but it is teenage fiction remember. The story flows, the characters are believable. I must admit in Shiver I though Grace's  parents were given the formulaic treatment of being absent to allow her to do pretty much whatever she wanted, but in Linger they came into play a bit more and it was good to see. I'm looking forward to the third one coming out and at that time will most probably revisit Shiver and Linger.

Recommended for: those who like their teenage paranormal fiction to have a bit of quality about it!

Challenges:  100+ Challenge, A-Z Challenge, For the Love of Young Adult Fiction Challenge