12 August, 2011

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
Author: J.K Rowling
Series: Harry Potter
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Children/ Young Adult
Format: Book - Personal Collection

Synopsis: Harry Potter is just an ordinary boy living with his horrible aunt, uncle and cousin. Then one day, Harry finds out he is not as ordinary as he thinks. Not only is he a wizard, he is famous in the wizarding world. So off he goes to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardary to begin on the path of his true destiny.

What I thought: The other week a friend and I went to see the final movie in the Harry Potter series. I loved it, thought they did an excellent job. Of course, it did mean that the moment I went home I wanted to read the books again! So being the anal person I am, I started with the first and plan to work my way through! What I am pleased to say is that the book stands the test of time. Given I have re read it every time a new book came out, plus a few extras, you could expect the thrill of it to diminish each time. It doesn’t. It’s just as exciting to read it this time as it was the first time I read it. In fact, in some ways it is better, as you know to look for little things and you become aware as the books go just how much the characters are growing. My only regret at the moment is I have a stack of library books (what’s new!) that I have to get through before I move onto book 2!

Recommended for: everyone! A true classic

Challenges: 100+ Challenge. I’m not adding this to my YA challenges as I feel it’s not really a YA book, more a children’s.