20 April, 2011

Low Red Moon

Title: Low Red Moon
Author: Ivy Devlin
Genre: Paranormal Fiction
Audience: Young Adult
Format: Book - Library

Synopsis: All Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents were murdered is something silver and fast moving. Now as she tries to cope with their violent deaths, she is left with a grandmother she hardly knows and a lot of unanswered questions. Ben, a new boy at school, seems to understand Amy a lot more than others, but he holds his own dark secret. She she trust him as much as she wants to?

What I thought: Another teen werewolf book! I read this after a review said it was comparable to Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series. I must admit I like authors who don't feel the need to "follow the rules" with their paranormal fiction. In both this and Mercy Falls for example, the moon is not the reason for the moon. I did enjoy this book, but I'm not sure I liked it as much as Mercy Falls. The ending felt a bit rushed and forced. I also found the way the word moon was always in red to be annoying. It screamed gimmick in a book that really didn't need it.

Recommended for: those who like their paranormal fiction with a bit of substance.

100+ Challenge, A-Z Challenge, For the Love of YA challenge,