02 April, 2011

Foster

Title: Foster
Author: Claire Keegan
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Book - Library

Synopsis: A young girl is taken by her father to stay with relatives on a farm in rural Ireland. He leaves without saying goodbye and she does not know when or if she will go back. However, in this foster family, she finds love and acceptance. There is a secret however, and when she discovers it, she realises how fragile life can be.

What I thought: At only 88 pages, Foster is a novella, rather than a book. It is also part of the reason I chose it - to fit in with my TwentyEleven Challenge


I'm glad I did as I really enjoyed most of this book. The story is simple and uncomplicated. The writing is beautiful, flowing and places you right in the setting. It took me just over an hour to read and I'm glad I had the time to give to it as I couldn't put it down. Half way through I thought "I'd like to read this again, possibly straight away" and I had all intention of doing so. But then it ended and I was left feeling cheated and confused. And the worse bit is, I can't say too much without giving it away! In the end, the girl calls out something, and I'm not clear who it was addressed to, and no matter how many times I re read it, I can't work it out! So while I enjoyed the book immensely, the ending has left me feeling like I still haven't uncovered the true events of the story.

Recommended for: those who are looking for a quick read, but who might understand the ending more than me!

Challenges:  100+ Challenge, A-Z Challenge, TwentyEleven Challenge