27 May, 2010

The Quilter's Homecoming

The Quilter's Homecoming by Jennifer Chiaverini

Number 10 in the Elm Creek Quilt Series.

This is the first of these books I didn't tear through! Set in the early 20's, Elizabeth and her new husband, Henry set off to take possession of the land he has purchased in California. They leave behind them all their family, knowing it is unlikely they will ever see them again. Packed in her trunk, Elizabeth carries her wedding quilt and a chimney and cornerstones quilt made for her by her female relatives. On arrival in California, they discover the land they have purchased was never for sale and they have lost Henry's life savings. How will they survive alone in this unknown place with no money and nowhere to call home?

I'm not sure why I found this harder to get through than the other books I've read. Maybe because quilting featured less? I still enjoyed the book and towards the end picked up the pace significantly. I am looking forward to the next in the series and hoping in brings back the zing I normally find when reading this series.