10 December, 2011

Erak's Ransom

Title: Erak's Ransom
Author: John Flanagan
Genre: Fiction
Series: Ranger's Apprentice
Audience: Young Adult
Format: Book - Library

From Goodreads: There is one adventure from Will's time as a Ranger's Apprentice that is yet to be told... When Erak, the Skandian Oberjarl, is taken hostage during a raid on the desert lands to the south of the Constant Sea, his second-in-command, Svengal, is sent to bring back a ransom for Erak's release. Halt and Will must go with Svengal to deliver the ransom and secure Erak's freedom, but a royal presence is needed too. The Princess Cassandra - or Evanlyn, as Will knows her - persuades her father to let her go with them. Horace and the Ranger Gilan round out the group to make sure that Evanlyn is well protected. But will violent sandstorms, warring tribes and danger at every turn keep them from reaching Erak in time. The seventh book takes us back to the final year of Will's apprenticeship, before the events related in Books 5 and 6.

What I thought: Once again, I ended up borrowing this from the library as I had forgotten to take my book with me. And it is with great sadness that I realise I only have three more in this series. You can imagine then how happy I was to discover John Flanagan has started another series called The Outcasts. It it is half as good as Ranger's, it should do well.

I keep waiting for Flanagan to drop the ball with this series. I have never read a series that has stayed consistently good for this long, with the possible exception of Harry Potter. If you have a 11, 12, 13 or even 14 year old in your life, particularly a boy, who likes to read, get them into this. The won't be disappointed!

Recommended for: those who want a quality YA fantasy series.


Challenges: 100+ Challenge, For the love of YA Challenge, Aussie YA Challenge