23 November, 2011

Quotable Quotes

Sometimes when I am reading a book, I come across a quote that for some reason grabs me. It may simply be beautifully written or it speaks to me on a deeper level. I often think I must write that down! - which I do, on a piece of paper somewhere that floats around for a week or two until it disappears. So, I thought instead I would create a page for these quotes. Every now and then, I will do a Quotable Quotes post and then add the actual quote to the Quotable Quotes page so I can keep track of them. The link for the page is now on the right hand side of the page - made for me by my wonderful husband!

My first Quotable Quote (how many times can I write that in one post!) Comes from Brenda Walker's book, Reading by Moonlight: How Books Saved a Life.

Emperor Saga read as a saviour, Adolf Hitler as a slaughterer. The rest of us probably read as we hope to travel, flying away, losing our bearings just enough to be shown some strangeness, some wonder. Knowing we might not be comfortable for the whole journey but that we'll have something to talk about when we touch down.

 Just prior to this quote, Brenda Walker had described the different ways these men were described when they read. Emperor Saga savoured texts, looked to them for meaning and insight, a different way of looking at the world. Hitler dissected what he read, taking what he wanted to support his theories and ideas, discarding that didn't agree with his point of view. The idea of what we read taking us away, possibly making us uncomfortable, but leaving us with a tale to tell had me nodding my head and saying emphatically - Yes! That's why I read!

I'd love to read your thoughts on this quote, or read what has jumped out at you lately. Feel free to leave me a message, I'd love to hear from you!