28 March, 2011

Magyk

Title: Magyk
Author: Angie Sage
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Young Adult
Series: Septimus Heap Book 1
Format: Audio Book

Synopsis: (from Goodreads) The seventh son of the seventh son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a new born girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus? .
What I thought: Ok, so I finished listening to this awhile ago, so this review may be a tad sketchy! I wasn't quite sure about reading this as it was fairly long and I didn't know if it would maintain my interest given I don't have a huge amount of time to listen to books. I was worried that with it being so long, I would lose interest. I was wrong! Everytime I got in the car I couldn't wait to get the kids to school so I could listen. I found myself sitting in car parks in order to hear what was next. Read by Allan Corduner, Magyk travels along at a wonderful pace, keeping the reader/ listener enthralled. My biggest disappointment is that the rest of the series is not currently avaliable on talking book - a fact I hope is changed soon!

Recommended for: those who  enjoy good quality children's/ young adult fantasy.

Challenges:  100+ Challenge, A-Z Challenge,  For the Love of YA Challenge