19 July, 2010

It's Monday! What are you Reading?



What are you reading Monday  is hosted by Shelia over at Book Journey. Head over and check out what others are reading!

What I have finished this week
Slow week this week, have only finished one book.

Culloden Tales by Hugh C Allison 

What I am reading now

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

From Goodreads:
When forty-seven-year-old high school teacher Caelum Quirk and his younger wife, Maureen, a school nurse, move to Littleton, Colorado, they both get jobs at Columbine High School. In April 1999, Caelum returns home to Three Rivers, Connecticut, to be with his aunt who has just had a stroke. But Maureen finds herself in the school library at Columbine, cowering in a cabinet and expecting to be killed, as two vengeful students go on a carefully premeditated, murderous rampage. Miraculously she survives, but at a cost: she is unable to recover from the trauma. Caelum and Maureen flee Colorado and return to an illusion of safety at the Quirk family farm in Three Rivers. But the effects of chaos are not so easily put right, and further tragedy ensues.
While Maureen fights to regain her sanity, Caelum discovers a cache of old diaries, letters, and newspaper clippings in an upstairs bedroom of his family's house. The colorful and intriguing story they recount spans five generations of Quirk family ancestors, from the Civil War era to Caelum's own troubled childhood. Piece by piece, Caelum reconstructs the lives of the women and men whose legacy he bears. Unimaginable secrets emerge; long-buried fear, anger, guilt, and grief rise to the surface.
As Caelum grapples with unexpected and confounding revelations from the past, he also struggles to fashion a future out of the ashes of tragedy. His personal quest for meaning and faith becomes a mythic journey that is at the same time quintessentially contemporary—and American.
I'm finding this harder going that I thought I would. I haven't had much time this week to just sit and read and I think this book needs that. Hopefully it will pick up for me soon.

What's next?
I know you are going to get sick of hearing this but I still  We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Book group is on Sunday and by the sounds of it, I'm not the only one who has had trouble finding time to read! We are thinking we may postpone Kevin to another month and instead do a sharing session of our favourites. So maybe instead of Kevin next on my list will be August's book group read - Mistborn: The Final Empire  by Brandon Sanderson.

So, what are you reading? Leave me a link!