08 May, 2011

Sing You Home

Title: Sing You Home
Author: Jodi Picoult
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Book and CD - Library

Synopsis: When Zoe and Max's most recent attempt at IVF fails, Max decides he can't go on and asks for a divorce. Through her work as a music therapist, Zoe meets and falls in love with Vanessa. Together they decide to use the remaining frozen embryo's to have a child. But Max's new found faith means he is not happy to let two women raise his child. Instead, he and Zoe end up in a battle for the right to decide what happens to the embryos.

What I thought: This is the best Picoult book I have read in awhile. For the first time in a long time there was no mother neglecting one child for the love of another. Instead there was an incredibly controversial issue that is sure to spark a wide range or reactions. Although still an easy read, it's the first Picoult in a long time I would consider for a book club - but only if you knew people would respect others opinions! Regardless of whether you agree with same sex marriage, or the right for homosexuals to have children or not, this book will provoke discussion. For the record, I believe in both the right to marriage and children for same sex couples. As far as I am concerned, love is love and a loving house is the most important thing in a child's life.

As with the last book I read , The Taste of Apple, Sing Me Home has a CD that goes with it. In fact, I'm listening to it as I write this review. As interesting as the idea is, I didn't find it as important to the story as the one it The Taste of Apple. A nice touch, but if you lost it, you wouldn't change the feel or meaning of the book.
As with all Picoult books there was a twist at the end. Not the one I was expecting, but one I liked. My only issue with the book was the last chapter that I just didn't see as necessary. In particular, where Max ended up. Just too twee for me.

Recommended for: those who like Picoult and would like to see her move back to her best.