02 January, 2014

13 in '13 Challenge Wrap Up

Little White Dove 

 When I first signed up for this challenge I suggested to the organiser (who is a friend as well) that instead of me having to read 13 books, that she set 13 different genres for me. Agreeing that by doing so it may take me more than a month to complete (and in reality, it would have taken me 2.5 months, but lets not quibble over small matters) Miss Dove set the following categories.

Mystery
Romance
Thriller
Drama  
Historical 
Fantasy
Sci-fi
Non-fiction  
Graphic novel
Autobiography
Motivational
Spiritual
Poetry 

My finished list looks like this.


Interestingly, 8 of the 13 were by Australian authors and 12 were new authors to me.

Pick of the bunch for me would have to be Maus. Incredibly powerful and lead me to read a couple of other graphic novels. Blood by Tony Birch would also have to be highly recommended.  Worse read of the lot was The Sheikh's Love Child, which sent me off on yet another feminist rant.

I enjoyed this challenge and Miss Dove has promised us a new one for 2014 so I will be watching with interest. In the meantime I'm trying to decide what other challenges I will take part in - if any...Either way I will continue to track what I read in one form or another.

Wishing you all a 2014 full of great books.