01 October, 2012

The Day Watch

Title: The Day Watch
Author: Sergei Lukyanenko
Series: The Night Watch Trilogy - Book 2
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Personal copy

From Goodreads: The second book in the internationally bestselling fantasy series, Day Watch begins where Night Watch left off, set in a modern-day Moscow where the 1,000-year-old treaty between Light and Dark maintains its uneasy balance through careful vigilance from the Others. The forces of darkness keep an eye during the day, the Day Watch, while the agents of Light monitor the nighttime. Very senior Others called the Inquisitors are the impartial judges insisting on the essential compact. When a very potent artifact is stolen from them, the consequences are dire and drastic for all sides. Day Watch introduces the perspective of the Dark Ones, as it is told in part by a young witch who bolsters her evil power by leeching fear from children's nightmares as a counselor at a girls' summer camp. When she falls in love with a handsome young Light One, the balance is threatened and a death must be avenged.
Day Watch is replete with the thrilling action and intricate plotting of the first tale, fuelled by cunning, cruelty, violence, and magic. It is a fast paced, darkly humorous, haunting world that will take root in the shadows of your mind and live there forever.


What I thought:  Just like it's predecessor, I think the Day Watch suffered in translation from the Russian to English. It just didn't flow for me, which is frustrating as I quite like the concept. I'm thinking I might have not struggled with it as much if I hadn't read it straight of the back of The Night Watch. I'm sure I will read the final book - The Twilight Watch - at some point, but not for awhile!

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT IN ORDER TO WIN AN EBOOK COPY OF CONNIE CORCORAN WILSON'S HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION II!

Today tell me about a series you haven't finished with yet.