30 April, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Is a meme hosted by Shelia over at Book Journey. A weekly check in to see what you are currently reading and what is coming up. Head over to Shelia's blog to see what others are reading this week.



What am I reading now.

Spartacus: The Gladiator - Ben Kane
This was sent to me by the publisher for review. I'm not far into it, but think it's going to be quite good!

Whatever It Is, I Don't Like It - Howard Jacobson

This was our book group read for April. Book group was on Sunday. I hadn't finished and I'm fairly sure I'm not going to.

What am I listening to.


Cloudstreet - Tim Winton
So I am driving again, but the other week I forgot to take my Kindle with me to listen to The Potato Factory so I borrowed this...and because it's a library audio I need to listen to it first so I can return it on time. Poor Bryce Courtenay, still waiting for me!
The Potato Factory - Bryce Courtenay
I will get back to it eventually, I promise!

Blog recommendation this week.

This weeks blog recommendation is Vodkamom. Vodkamom is an American kindergarten teacher who tells the funniest stories about her kids. In between she also blogs about her kids - teenage girls Bitchy and Sassy and her son Golden Boy. In the past couple of years her marriage has broken down so there is a bit of that there too.
To illustrate the funny things her kindergarteners say, I give you this:

We were working in our journals during Kid Writing today, and it was the girls' turn to sit at my table. They were working on their pictures, and I was helping with the words when SOMEHOW the girls got on the topic of pierced ears. (We had spent the last ten minutes searching for the tiny, clear BACK to one of Sasha's earrings, only to miraculously find it on the carpet. I'm surprised jack hadn't eaten it, but that's another story altogether.)

"When I get big, I'm gonna get my nose pierced AND maybe my LIP!" Lily said dramatically.
Sasha looked at me and raised her eyebrows. "Well," she said matter of-factly, sitting with her legs crossed as she colored, "I might get my nose pierced, but never my privacy. No girl, not my privacy."


um.


(Omg. I don't know HOW I hold it together. I just don't know.)

Source: http://www.vodkamom.com/2012/04/honestly-some-days-im-convinced-im-just.html
And she does other cool things with them, like grass heads!


Source:http://www.vodkamom.com/2012/04/i-turned-my-back-for-one-minute-and.html
Love my Vodkamom!

What I Read In the Last Two Weeks
I missed out on Monday's post las week, so this week you get two weeks worth of finishes!

Ishamel and the Hoops of Steel - Michael Gerard Bauer

Don't Call Me Ishmael - Gerard Bauer

The Golden Day - Ursula Dubosarsky

The Dead I Know  - Scot Gardner


They are all younger readers and all from the The Children's Book Council of Australia Older Reader's Short list.  Except Don't Call Me Ishmael. If you are into YA fiction I strongly, strongly recommend The Dead I Know. I still have three other titles in the Short List to read, but they will have to be spectacular to beat The Dead.


What's next?
The rest of the CBCA Ollder Readers short list is a pretty high proprity at the moment - with the added bonus of being good reads!
So what are you reading? Leave me a link, I'd love to know!